I volunteered with Earth, Sea and Sky during the 2014 season. I had always wanted to volunteer abroad with a wildlife conservation group. My love for marine animals and the Greek culture lead me to Zakynthos, and it was honestly the best decision I’ve ever made.
Highlights from my time time with Earth, Sea and Sky include:
• Volunteering alongside incredible people from all over the world whose passion for conservation and our planet’s environment and wildlife inspired me every day
• Educating tourists about the program and how they can help the turtles of Zakynthos
• Spending mornings surveying beaches for newly laid nests
• Witnessing a nest erupt with baby hatchlings and watching them take their first steps
• Helping to save a hatchling caught in plastic
• Relocating a nest that was laid in wet sand.
I was even lucky enough to watch a rare monk seal hunt in the bay outside the centre!
I left educated about the very real impacts humans can have on our wildlife and environment which inspired me to change my career and seek work in marine conservation back in Australia. I am so grateful to Yannis, Jonna and the Earth, Sea and Sky family for my experience on Zakynthos. I definitely plan on visiting again soon!